Last Updated: 06/14/17
- What is included in the cost of Quarter Plus?
- Why do the scholarships only cover the program fee and not the housing or dining fees?
- What is the refund policy if I decide not to participate?
- What happens if I do not like the class I am registered in? Can I change my class schedule? What if I do not like the professors or courses I am placed in for Quarter Plus?
- What if I already have credit or will have credit for one of the courses offered during Quarter Plus?
- Are non-freshmen allowed to apply?
- How many hours a day will I be in class?
- Is this program too hard? Will it set them up for failure?
- What are the minimum requirements to apply to the Quarter Plus program?
- Which General Education courses will be offered during the Quarter Plus program?
- Why are 200-level classes being offered?
- If a student participating in the Quarter Plus program experiences academic or personal challenges, will there be any support available?
- I have taken Advanced Placement (AP) exam(s). How do I determine if the courses offered in Quarter Plus will duplicate my AP Credit?
- I have taken International Baccalaureate (IB) exam(s). How do I determine if the courses offered in Quarter Plus will duplicate my IB credit?
- I have taken class(es) at a California Community College or another school. How do I know which GEs at Cal Poly I will get credit for? How will this affect which courses I should take during the Quarter Plus program?
- Where can I get my textbooks?
- Are the study groups mandatory?
- I am Applying to the university Honors program. Can I get Honors credit in Quarter Plus?
- How will I find a roommate?
- Will my roommate be the same for the rest of the year?
- Why do we move before the program ends?
- Will I have my own room in Poly Canyon Village?
- Can I move in to my room assignment before the move-in date?
- If I am an out-of-state student, can I ship my belongings early so they are there by the time I arrive?
- How will I move out of their Quarter Plus housing and in to their fall housing assignment?
- When can I move in? Will I have time to meet other students in the Quarter Plus program on the first day?
- Can I enroll in the Quarter Plus program but not live in the dorms?
- How do I apply for Housing? Can I select a roommate for Quarter Plus?
- What will students do for food?
- Can Cal Poly accommodate to students’ dietary restrictions? Are there gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian options?
- What are Plu$ dollars, and will Plu$ dollars for the Quarter Plus program roll over at the end of the program?
- How do I receive my PolyCard?
- Will the program conflict if I am a part of school sports or marching band?
- What is a learning assistant?
- Will I have access to the recreation center?
- Will I have access to the health center?
- Will Quarter Plus interfere with the Week of Welcome?
- Will other students be present at Cal Poly while I am participating in Quarter Plus?
- If I have a learning disability, am I able to apply to Quarter Plus? Can the program accommodate to my needs?
- How many students can attend the Quarter Plus program?
- I am planning on bringing a car. Do I need to buy a parking permit?
- What can I do this summer to prepare for a smooth transition to campus life?
- If I participate in Quarter Plus, should I still participate in Week of Welcome (WOW)?
- I am an International Student. Can I participate in Quarter Plus?
- I am a candidate for Early Start. Can I participate in Quarter Plus?
Cal Poly tuition, institutional fees, instructional fees, housing, and dining. There is also learning support and social activities on weekends.Back to top
Quarter Plus is a self-support program run by Extended Education. Housing and Dining are separate departments under the Cal Poly Corporation and have their own policies.Back to top
The refund policy is defined on the financial page here. If you have further questions, please contact the Extended Ed office. .Back to top
What happens if I do not like the class I am registered in? Can I change my class schedule? What if I do not like the professors or courses I am placed in for Quarter Plus?
Classes and instructors have been selected with extra care, taking all aspects such as AP credits and previous college courses into consideration. Students are block registered in classes and, unfortunately, there is no flexibility in changing classes.Back to top
What if I already have credit or will have credit for one of the courses offered during Quarter Plus?
Please inform us immediately about your status change so that we can make necessary adjustments.Back to top
Unfortunately NO. This program is specifically designed for freshmen.Back to top
Students are in class approximately 8 hours per day, 4 days per week: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.Back to top
This program is challenging and that is why there are specific qualifications to participate. We know from past students that Quarter Plus can be rewarding and empowering for students. We have many reports that meeting its challenges built self-confidence.Back to top
All incoming freshmen are invited to apply to the Quarter Plus program.
- Acceptance to attend Cal Poly SLO as a freshman
- One or more of the following:
- Cumulative high school GPA (non-weighted) of 3.75 preferred
- Old SAT combined Math and Critical Reading score equal to 1300 or higher
- ACT composite score of 29 or higher
- Compelling responses to application essay
The Quarter Plus program is designed to provide new students with a head start on their lower division GE Area courses. The tentative curriculum can be viewed on the Classes Page. Students will be enrolled in COMS 101, and one of the other courses listed depending on college credit, AP test scores, IB test scores, and class capacity.Back to top
Both 100- and 200-level courses are considered lower division and can be successfully completed by freshmen.Back to top
If a student participating in the Quarter Plus program experiences academic or personal challenges, will there be any support available?
Yes! Faculty, staff, and Student Learning Assistants will be available during Quarter Plus. Their goals are to supplement instruction and support students academically and personally through this intensive program. They will be able to help with the rigorous academic experience that the program will deliver. Student Learning Assistants are peer mentors that will not only support students with time management and study skills, but are also available to address any common challenges students face as they transition from high school to Cal Poly.Back to top
I have taken Advanced Placement (AP) exam(s). How do I determine if the courses offered in Quarter Plus will duplicate my AP Credit?
Cal Poly is not notified of any AP credit you may have earned until early July. In fact, some AP exams are held in late May, so you are the only person able to determine if you may have AP credit prior to the deadlines for Quarter Plus registration. The Quarter Plus courses would duplicate credits if you have taken (or plan to take) AP exams and earn a qualifying score in areas in the following AP credit chart 2016. We ask that you report which exams you have completed or plan to take before Quarter Plus starts so you can be enrolled appropriately.
|AP Test Equivalents||GE Area|
|Art History (13) OR Music Theory (75)||C3|
|US Government & Politics (57) OR US History (07)||D1|
|Comparative Government & Politics (58) OR Economics: Macroeconomics (35)||D2|
|Human Geography (53) OR World History (93)||D3|
I have taken International Baccalaureate (IB) exam(s). How do I determine if the courses offered in Quarter Plus will duplicate my IB credit?
Cal Poly is not notified of any IB credit you may have earned until early July. You are the only person able to determine if you may have IB credit prior to Quarter Plus registration. The Quarter Plus courses would duplicate credit if you have taken (or plan to take) IB exam(s) and earn a qualifying score in areas in the following IB credit chart.
For more information see Cal Poly IB Credit 2016.
|IB Test Equivalents||GE Area|
|Geography OR History of Asia & Oceania (route 2) OR History of Europe & Middle East (route 2) OR History of the Americas (route 2)||D3|
I have taken class(es) at a California Community College or another college. How do I know which courses or GE areas at Cal Poly I will get credit for? How will this affect which courses I should take during the Quarter Plus program?
If you will be receiving credit for a course or a GE area, you should avoid taking a course for which you have already earned credit.
If you took a class through a California College, follow these steps to determine which courses or GE areas you will receive credit for:
- Go to www.assist.org
- Click on the link on the left titled “Using Assist”
- The first three Demos listed will help you figure out if:
- A class you took fulfills a specific major or support requirement
- A class you took might fulfill a Cal Poly General Education area offered through Quarter Plus
Be sure to select the academic year in which you completed the transfer course.
IMPORTANT: Cal Poly’s GE areas do not match the GE areas that you will see listed in assist.org. The information sheet created by the Office of the Registrar “How to Use Assist“ is a valuable resource in determining credit. It is important to use the information sheet to compare the GE areas.
If you have completed coursework at a school other than a California Community College:
Back to top
Check with your Cal Poly advisor to determine if the course you have already taken will duplicate a course in the Quarter Plus program.
Textbooks will be available for preorder on the Cal Poly University Store website.Back to top
Study groups are not mandatory, but highly recommended. This is time to discuss class topics with your peers, participate in out-of-class activities, review difficult content, and learn to study efficiently.Back to top
It depends on the number of honors student in the program. If there is a good number to set up a class, Yes, one GE class will be transitioned to an Honors class if enough Honors students participate in the Quarter Plus program. Students identified as accepted into the Honors program will automatically be enrolled in the Honors course if it does not duplicate credit already received by that student. The Q+ Honors course will count toward the requirement of two Honors courses per year to maintain “good standing” in the Honors program. Honors students are designated by the Honors Program as having applied and been accepted into the program. For more information regarding the University Honors program visit honors.calpoly.edu.Back to top
Please go to the housing page for this question.Back to top
Your roommates will change after Quarter Plus program.Back to top
Housing needs a few days to prepare the rooms for the incoming residents before Fall quarter starts.Back to top
There are different options available for Quarter Plus but you should contact housing for all housing questions.Back to top
Unfortunately, moving is only allowed on the move-in day (August 12, 2017)Back to top
If I am an out-of-state student, can I ship my belongings early so they are there by the time I arrive?
You can talk to Housing about your options.Back to top
There will be movers available to help all students move easily with no problemBack to top
When can I move in? Will I have time to meet other students in the Quarter Plus program on the first day?
Move-in will be Saturday, August 12 in Poly Canyon Village. Optional group activities will be held Saturday night after move-in.Back to top
No, the Quarter Plus program is a residential-only program. In our experience, students that live on campus create the tightest bonds, have the best experience, and are more successful in the academically intensive program.Back to top
University Housing has all the information you need to apply for housing. Visit the Freshmen Housing website for more information at housing.calpoly.edu Students' regular fall housing assignment will not be impacted by participation in Q+.Back to top
Dinner will be catered every day. Additionally, Plu$ Dollars cards will allow students to buy food at available places on campus.Back to top
Can Cal Poly accommodate to students’ dietary restrictions? Are there gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian options?
Of course. You should just communicate it with Dining. They will be able to help you with your diet limitations.Back to top
What are Plu$ dollars, and will Plu$ dollars for the Quarter Plus program roll over at the end of the program?
Plu$ Dollars refer to dining plan declining balance funds. These funds can be used for purchasing food items at all Campus Dining restaurants, food trucks and markets, including Subway, Yogurt Creations and Starbucks! They cannot be used for gratuities or to purchase gift cards, clothing, school supplies, mugs, coffee makers and similar non-food merchandise. Declining balance funds are allocated at the beginning of each academic quarter during the regular school year and expire at the end of spring quarter.Back to top
To be updated, please check back.Back to top
We will review this case by case.Back to top
You can go to this link and learn more about Learning Assistants.Back to top
Yes.Back to top
Yes.Back to top
Quarter Plus days have been scheduled in a way to allow students participate in WOW.Back to top
Yes, there will be some students for other programs on campus at different times during the summer.Back to top
If I have a learning disability, am I able to apply to Quarter Plus? Can the program accommodate to my needs?
You are able to participate in Quarter Plus; however, to accommodate your needs you should contact DRC (Disability Resource Center) in advance.Back to top
The program capacity is 200 students for Summer 2017.Back to top
More information on resident parking and permits can be found on the parking website.Back to top
During their attendance at Student Life Orientation Days (SLO Days) or during any campus visit, Quarter Plus students can make their first days on campus easier.
- A student ID card will be required the moment you step onto campus for dining, library use, city bus access and more. It is the student's responsibility to obtain a student ID card. The PolyCard Services website has specific information about how to obtain the card and how it can be used at polycard.calpoly.edu.
- Students can prepare a hand key access code at the Recreation Center to be ready for move-in.
- If support from the Disability Resource Center is needed, we strongly recommend meeting with an Access Specialist before Q+ begins. Click here for more information.
- Connect with Quarter Plus on Facebook.
- Order textbooks once they are announced on the curriculum page
Yes! Quarter Plus will prepare you for your academic career at Cal Poly and introduce you to campus. WOW will provide you with a completely different experience by introducing you to the San Luis Obispo community and helping you make new connections.Back to top
International students must contact Judy Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine eligibility for the program based on visa status. F-1 students new to the U.S. with an initial I-20 from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo are not eligible for the Quarter Plus program.Back to top
Any student required to complete the Early Start Program is ineligible to enroll in Quarter Plus.Back to top